Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Garden update -

Well I thought it was time to give you an update on the garden. First picture here is looking from the deck (artistically) through the Calibrachoa towards the apple tree and the sweet corn.



This next one is the wee little herb garden and looking towards some of the tomato plants. I got my compass directions wrong, so this is where I will plant all of the tomatoes next year.



This year's pride and joy so far is my heirloom sweet corn, standing tall, at about 5 foot.



I think this is the "flower" part of the corn. It's a bit infested with black aphids..



some of which are being milked by the ants...



so if any of you know if this is a good thing or a bad thing please let me know.

Also in this plot are some bell peppers..



and some cucumbers growing in the shadow of the corn. The cucumber is protected from the earwigs by these old yogurt pots.



The plan was to train the cucumbers up the sweet corn, but it's obviously not working. Back to the drawing board on that one.



The apples are starting to grow bigger and bigger and should be a good harvest if I can keep the squirrels away. A few of the apples had been infested with a little wormy thing. I wonder if it's the brown apple moth that seems to be causing such a political storm here in California.




Finally the garden is very sweet smelling right now as my lilies have bloomed. They smell sooooooooooooooooooooooo good and soooooooooooooooooo intoxicating. Time to cut some more for the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment